Saturday, September 1, 2012

Alpacas from Eighth and Mud


At the beginning of the summer I took the opportunity to get out of the city for a day and tour a local alpaca farm. My friend and I set off for Alpacas from Eighth and Mud on a pretty, sunny week day. When we arrived we noticed alpacas prancing in fields on either side of a quaint little shop. I later learned that females were on one side and males on the other. Of course they only mix for breeding purposes! Baby alpacas, known as Crias, stayed with their moms.





We immediately went into the shop and met the farmer, a bubbly welcoming woman named Sharon. She answered all of our questions and showed us some of her hand made works. We feasted our eyes on the shelves of alpaca yarn, hand knit garments, wall hangings and I particularly admired the spinning fiber. You'll also find hand made jams and maple syrup in the gift shop.

Alpaca spinning fiber with silk noils.
Alpacas on Eighth and Mud is also a mill. They mill their own alpaca fiber and will do custom orders for local customers.
Sharon let us see the alpacas behind the scenes. The animals were really tentative around us strangers. 
Before we left we receive some "real eggs" from Sharon's chickens and directions on how to get to a local cheese maker's market.


2 comments:

  1. So did you leave with a basket full of new yarn also?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wellll, I bought some maple syrup, jam, and the fluffy alpaca fiber for spinning pictured above. I have to take a break from buying yarn for personal use until I've knit from my stash.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails